Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

2021 Strut Stopper Story Thread

Started by turkey harvester, March 02, 2021, 08:47:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aclawrence

I got an upgrade gobbler this morning on my last hunt of the year. I'll type up the story later. What a way to end my season!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dzsmith

Quote from: Kygobblergetter on May 14, 2021, 03:57:53 PM
I'd say here in Kentucky probably 90% or better of the fall harvest is killed while deer hunting. Which sucks. I'd really like to see them get rid of the fall season or at least make it gobbler only

I have no doubt in most places with a fall season...its nothing more than just deer hunters with a turkey tag in there pocket. If you have a population issue to the point animals are causing damage, sure a fall season could be necessary. However there actually is a method, purpose, and style to fall turkey hunting and there is very few people doing that that I see. Im sure if I put this on the general forum people would be up I arms about why im wrong and howo they should be able to shoot whatever they want whenever they want. you couldn't pay me to shoot a turkey in the fall. Pure butchery.
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

dzsmith

Quote from: aclawrence on May 15, 2021, 04:23:48 PM
I got an upgrade gobbler this morning on my last hunt of the year. I'll type up the story later. What a way to end my season!

way to pick it up in the rear AC nice bird dude. great finish and addition to the team score.

Kygobblergetter

Awesome ac congrats!

Kygobblergetter

As for the fall season it's an absolute joke. I hate it. No chance I'm shouting a hen and no chance I'm shooting a non gobbling Tom...

harleytom

Quote from: aclawrence on May 15, 2021, 04:23:48 PM

Congrats, nice bird!

turkey harvester

Awesome ending to your season!!
TURKEY NUT CUSTOM STRIKERS- Jeffrey Thompson-Owner.  Kathleen,GA
Hunt with your kids, not for them.

Hunt with your kids, not for them.

bornagain64

Nice job guys and congrats.
Sounds like a lot of the same for most of us, to much pressure and not enough birds.

As tuff as it has been 10 out of the 12 members took a bird. Nice team effort.
Sorry , I could not contribute this year, but congrats to those that did.

Anyone still hunting? Man it seems like so long ago, season in Florida as been over for almost 1 month.
We are getting ready to put in for deer hunts.

Kygobblergetter

I'm going to be in wv for the last weekend of season and hope to scratch out a bird. That will most likely be the end of my season but the wife does have to work a few days that I'm off so I'm trying to figure something else out up north somewhere. We will see what happens

Kygobblergetter

Somehow managed to scratch one out in wv! My wife and I got to their family cabin at about 2:30 am Friday morning. Took a quick nap and overslept by about an hour. I woke up at 5:55 in a complete panic and quickly ran out on the porch in just a pair of shorts. After about 30 seconds I heard a bird gobble and quickly ran back inside to get my stuff together and get the wife up. We got ready and got back outside. The bird was clearly on the ground and not too far from the gobble I had heard. I tried to locate him with an owl hoot but he refused to gobble so I decided to Yelp at him. He responded right away with one of those "oh " gobbles and we realized he was in the field right over the hill. We dove down and got to the fence where we stayed for the rest of the hunt. Long story short I called him up and probably should have shot him but he was on the outskirts of range and I didn't want to take a bad shot and screw it up so he ended up gobbling up a couple hens and drifting off. The next morning my buddy was with us and we actually woke up on time. We made the first owl hoot from the porch and the bird gobbled but on top of the next mountain. We took off his direction but by the time we got there he had been on the ground for a while and had moved up the ridge. Luckily he was gobbling steadily on his own and we were able to slip to about 100 yards before we ever made a call. We tried every trick in the books on this bird but he wouldn't budge. Finally I told my buddy to keep him gobbling and I was going to drop over the hill and try to slip in real tight. It worked like a charm and when I finally raised up behind a tree I could see him strutting with a hen at about 75 yards. Every time he strutted facing away or got behind a tree I would let out some soft yelps and scratch the leaves with my foot. He gobbled almost every time but just kept strutting in circles. After about 10 minutes of this I completely stopped calling and he finally just broke and started walking my way. Once he got to about 30 yards I gave him a couple yelps to get him to stop and put his head up and shot him. To put the icing on the cake he was an upgrade! I just can't stand the thought of it being over so I'm going to make a run at Wisconsin for their last season and hopefully at least get to see my dad shoot a bird

Kygobblergetter

wvhoyt19

Congrats!!

birdman67

Loving God's Creation!

Turkeyman

Killed a good bird Saturday...pics in the Contest Entries thread.
I had a misfire...first ever...on this bird Friday. I pretty much knew where they were roosting so got in there early Saturday morning. At gobbling time one was gobbling back behind me regulartly. This one never gobbled...just continual drumming. He was in front of me about 75 yards. Several hens started talking then flew down in his direction. He pitched down to them. They started to wander to my left so I ran a quiet string of yelps at them. The hens swung my direction...and he followed. He was in full strut...and drumming...as he was passing by. I putted him but he wouldn't break strut. The clear shot I had was now or never at 35 yards. He went down stone dead but, due to him in full strut with tucked head, I blew off a significant part of his beard. It's been a very frustrating year to say the least with toms stuck to hens like glue.

dzsmith

Congrats man. Looks like you put us in the 500 club for the first time since I've been a member of this team. Way to go. If a few of you northern hunters could pull in another bird or 2 we would actually be in a very competitive spot . Not that it matters , but this would be the first time I can remember even in being in the ball park .