turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What cut?

Started by AppalachianHollers, February 16, 2021, 10:03:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AppalachianHollers

Ran a ghost cut last year, and frankly couldn't get a good yelp sequence going. Just tree talk and kee kees (not so useful). Wondering what cut to try next a 2-2.5 reed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ranman

I like a combo cut. My go to has been the Persuader by Hooks.

Chris Downs

My favorite for all around calling is a batwing. I also use a ghost and combo. This season I'm going back to using a good old fashioned cutter style cut too.

GobbleNut

For me, the cut isn't as important as the sounds I can produce on it.  Right now, I am on a "clipped-wing V-cut kick" but I always end up running whatever I think sounds the best when I go hunting.  I would say that generally it turns out to be some sort of modified V-cut or a combo, although I am not averse to experimenting with completely off-brand cuts with a call until I hit on something I am happy with. 

When hunting, I carry an assortment of mouth calls with different pitches and tones.  I will generally stick with the ones that I think sound the best, but have found over the years that what I think sounds the best and what a particular gobbler thinks sounds the best are not necessarily the same.   :icon_thumright:

albrubacker

Quote from: Ranman on February 17, 2021, 12:08:03 AM
I like a combo cut. My go to has been the Persuader by Hooks.
One of my favorites!
The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott