OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How much Rasp?

Started by culpeper, February 17, 2021, 11:23:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

culpeper

Whether it's a pot call or a box call, how much rasp is too much rasp?  In pot calls, it seems most folks like an easy roll-over, crisp clucks, nice high front end plenty of rasp on the back end of the yelp, atleast that's been my observation and from discussions with many callmakers and talented hunters who run a lot of pot calls.

It also seems similar in box calls, most folks like them to to start high, break over hard and fall into a deep raspy bottom...this inherently will offer crisp clucks, it can get softer/milder with slight finger pressure and typically produces bold full yelps of mature hens.

So is there too much rasp inherently in a call if one can tone it down with less pressure on the striker, or using slate versus glass, or by finger pressure on a box call sound rail, or simply by running it easier?

trb136

Ask 100 turkey hunters and you will get 100 different answers..So many different thoughts on calls that could be a hard nut to crack

Greg Massey

I feel a call lid should glide across the rails and pretty much play itself. I don't care for one that the lid pulls on the rails. I like for it to have good high pitch front and good key yank of the roll with a little of that young bird sound in that break of the roll with good rasp on the backend. A good box should pretty much run itself with very little finger pressure or guiding across the rails. A good high pitch front can always be down played for softer calling and it good to have the ability to crank on it for those windy days and trying to locate birds. Rasp does kill gobblers. Just my opinion.

M,Yingling

me as for pots i like them raspy i have never picked up a call that had to much rasp ,,, imo raspy calls you can get them to run more clear with striker pressure grip on striker or putting finger on bottom of call  ,, to me its harder to get rasp out of a call that runs to clear ,,,  i got some of the best of the best calls here and is hard get rasp from them  even on back end ,, now me thats the turkey i hear in my areas i hunt so ,, thats what i like in call ,,,imo lots calls i hear these days have way to high front to them but thats what people want these days ,,,

Boxs calls i like box that runs its self pretty much,, nice med front drops into good deep rasp,,,  for me i always found i could get real soft on a deep sounding box and still get that good soft break tree sound 
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

ChesterCopperpot

Don't know if anyone watched that latest Pinhoti video or not with Mark Prudhomme and Kerry Terrell but at one point Kerry talks about how we all have our own hen—that Mark makes the noises of his hen, and Kerry makes the noises of his. I think that's the answer. What does your personal hen sound like. My hen talks clean till she gets pissed off then it's raspy hollering like she's got a cigarette dangling from the corner of her mouth and a switchblade in her hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crow

I heard that, all 3 had different amounts of rasp in "their hen," and they each placed the breakover at a different place in their yelp

bbcoach

Whatever the bird or birds will respond to and come to on any given day, is the right amount.  As others have said, we ALL have different hens in our heads and perceive what we like to hear but you never know when your hunting.  Carry several and let the birds sort it out.

GobbleNut

Quote from: bbcoach on February 18, 2021, 08:27:39 AM
Whatever the bird or birds will respond to and come to on any given day, is the right amount.  As others have said, we ALL have different hens in our heads and perceive what we like to hear but you never know when your hunting.  Carry several and let the birds sort it out.

Yep,...this is it.   A gobbler wants to hear what a gobbler wants to hear.  As hunters, we make the choice as to what WE think a gobbler wants to hear, and sometimes those choices do not align. 

In addition, turkeys almost assuredly interpret other turkey sounds they hear differently than we do as hunters.  For instance, a very raspy call that we believe, in our minds, a gobbler thinks is "the old boss hen" may very well be interpreted by Mr. Gobbler to be a jake cavorting in his bailiwick.  He may then come to that call (or not) for an entirely different reason than WE were thinking he was. 

Anybody that has spent time around wild turkeys knows that they have a wide variation in their voices,...just like people do.  They can be very high pitched, or raspy beyond what we think any other turkey would ever interpret as being another turkey.  Some yelp with that classic "contest call" yelp, but for every contest call yelp you hear in the woods, you will hear an assortment of variations of that sound coming from hen turkeys. 

Bottom line is that the trick is to determine what a gobbler wants to hear.  Some want to hear anything that sounds remotely like another turkey,....and some are out there waiting for a very specific sound. 

...From a personal standpoint, I always look for the ones that want to hear "anything that sounds remotely like another turkey"!   ;D

culpeper

I would agree on what a gobbler wants to hear and who are we to say what that will be on any given day.  On Rasp, purely so, I think if you have it, like Mike Y. says then you can dish it out and you can always tone it down in various ways as needed.

culpeper

Quote from: warrent423 on February 18, 2021, 11:16:39 AM
Not much, if any, for me. The morning onslaught of monotone rasp from the googan crew, pretty much has them nice and quiet by the time I arrive at the gate, around 10:00.

I hear that!