OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Deep Snow, what effect on turkeys...

Started by Tom007, February 04, 2021, 08:34:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom007

Oh well, we just had 35 inches of snow in the Nor'Easter in New Jersey. It is a record in my town. This winter has been easy up until this 2 day storm. I was wondering what the forums thoughts were on how this might affect our turkeys? I walked in my yard, and with drifts, it was real tough. I can't imagine being a turkey. Be safe, spring hopefully around the corner.....
"Solo hunter"

Dtrkyman

sounds like they are going into it in good shape, if it doesn't last an extended period of time or get a nasty crsut of ice on it they should do fine.

simpzenith

The turkeys should be fine. After the snow settles, the turkeys will be able to walk right on top of it. Turkeys also can fly btw.  :) They will fly from tree to tree if need be, eating what they can find in the treetops. Turkeys are very resourceful during these times and will also travel long distances to find food, cattle farms, crab apple trees, standing crop fields for example.

Tom007

Quote from: Dtrkyman on February 04, 2021, 09:25:58 AM
sounds like they are going into it in good shape, if it doesn't last an extended period of time or get a nasty crsut of ice on it they should do fine.

Yes, I am hoping it melts fast.....
"Solo hunter"

Tom007

Quote from: simpzenith on February 04, 2021, 09:33:41 AM
The turkeys should be fine. After the snow settles, the turkeys will be able to walk right on top of it. Turkeys also can fly btw.  :) They will fly from tree to tree if need be, eating what they can find in the treetops. Turkeys are very resourceful during these times and will also travel long distances to find food, cattle farms, crab apple trees, standing crop fields for example.

Wish it didn't snow, been an easy winter so far.....be safe
"Solo hunter"

Happy

Here in ny neck of the woods we haven't seen bare ground in a month. Currently have about 12-14 inches. Turkeys for the most part will be fine though. They will find areas that have blocked snow and pick up what they can in the trees.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Herb McClure

I have only witness one real snow or ice condition here in North Georgia's highest mountains, which was in 1960, when those mountains had over twenty inches of sleet, not snow and the next week twelve inches of snow came on top of that ice bed which would not melt, and the third week six more inches of more snow.
I was involved working with the game & fish  dept. that was hauling corn in sucks to wildlife along some roads. However, the turkeys were seen working in water springs that were not frozen over completely No one found any dead turkeys and the population seem alright after the thaw came .

Tom007

Great news, can't wait till this stuff melts....be safe
"Solo hunter"

Paulmyr

Pretty sure I read somewhere they can survive in temp down to 100 degrees below the freezing point or in layman's terms -58 degrees. Brrrr.... That's cold. We are going to shoot for it here in Mn this weekend but should fall short at only about -15.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Tom007

Wow, crack open a cold one and watch some football....
"Solo hunter"

2eagles

We've got so much snow around here, I saw turkeys flying south with the Canada geese.

quavers59

26"s in my area of New York.  After 6 days gone,this  morning g,I  had 6 of the 21 Wild Turkeys that,I  feed come back.
   4 Jake's and 2 Jennies. I have a area shoveled out for them. Breakfast of unsalted Sunflower Seeds,Birdseed, and unsalted- dry roasted peanuts.
    These 6 Young Turkeys are putting on weight and look great after the Noreaster.
    Still waiting on the 5 mature Hen and 10 Gobblers to show up soon.

Tom007

"Solo hunter"

bbcoach

Let some of the boys from Wisconsin jump into this one.  They experience some of the deepest snows and coldest temps during their winters and they seem to have a good population from year to year.  Not uncommon to have 24 inches of snow on the ground and -20 to -30 temps.

Tom007

Quote from: bbcoach on February 05, 2021, 05:38:05 PM
Let some of the boys from Wisconsin jump into this one.  They experience some of the deepest snows and coldest temps during their winters and they seem to have a good population from year to year.  Not uncommon to have 24 inches of snow on the ground and -20 to -30 temps.

Love to hear from them...
"Solo hunter"