turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Question for a duck hunter

Started by Cowboy, January 27, 2021, 09:03:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cowboy

Due to the ammo shortage going on, I'm having trouble finding copper BB loads for coyotes.  The question I have is, I have a box of steel BB loads for ducks and geese. I'm not a duck hunter, so wondering if I need to use a different choke tube for these loads? I have a regular Primos jellyhead in the mossberg 835. Do you guys recommend a certain one for these BB loads? Once again, never hunted ducks and never used steel shot.

AppalachianHollers

I wouldn't use a turkey choke. Use a factory full. Or even a modified if the velo on those loads is over 1550 FPS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChesterCopperpot

I wouldn't shoot anything over modified with steel BBs.

Tom007

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on January 27, 2021, 09:20:18 PM
I wouldn't shoot anything over modified with steel BBs.

Agreed here, x2
"Solo hunter"

Cowboy

Thanks. I've shot the copper plated LEAD BB through the Primos turkey choke but definitely wasn't sure on the steel shot.

Nathan_Wiles

I once killed 3 pigs with Kent BB Steel 3.5" thru a patternmaster short range tube. 1st 2 pigs were 35 pounds  at 11 steps, the 3rd pig was about 60#'s and 15 yds. All 3 dropped dead where they stood.
Unrelated to your question but BB steel kills pigs it should handle yotes.

Caution though just because you can shoot 3 pigs doesn't mean you should especially if your plan is to drag them out for your freezer. I think I died 3 maybe 4 times that day.

I concur on the modified tube, I witnessed irreparable damage to a choke tube when a fella ran big steel thru a full choke not designed for that work out.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Spurchaser88

I agree as stated above I wouldn't recommend steel though a turkey choke

Cowboy

I appreciate all the feedback. I'll switch it out to a modified or something else.