turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

May 2, 2020

Started by strut2, January 26, 2021, 08:29:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

strut2

Everyday that I get to wake up and chase a gobbler around is a great day! But May 2, 2020 was exceptional and a day that I'll never forget.

May 2,2020 was the opener here in PA and I spent it hunting with my dad as I have every season past. But this year we had a sidekick tag along with us, my 7 year old daughter, Natalie. It was a relatively quiet morning with not much action. It was approximately 11:15 and we decided to call it a day because I had work in the afternoon and Natalie had enough. As we were driving to drop my dad off at his house, we saw a long beard  and a hen feeding along the road next to a property I have permission to hunt.  Natalie said she wanted to go after him. We set up approximately 200 yards from where we last saw them and after about ten minutes of calling he finally gobbled and acknowledged me. This was a nerve racking experience as I had my daughter sitting between my legs and I was trying to help support the gun. We see the bird approximately 80 yards out, working his way towards us. He gets closer and closer and I'm thinking there is absolutely no way this is going to work out. The bird commits and as it's approximately 30 yards out and preparing to come into our opening to shoot, I'm telling Natalie to relax and just keep the red dot on its head. Her reply was, "I'm trying dad but you're shaking too much". haha I manage to keep it together for her and she dropped her first gobbler! It was an incredible moment to share with my daughter and my dad.

I took my camera that day and my dad  got most of the footage with it.Thought this might get you in the mood for spring!

If anyone would like to check out a few short segments of the hunt, I posted it under my call company's Facebook and Instagram page. Facebook- Honey Hole Game Calls  Instagram- honey_hole_game_calls

Take care everyone and best of luck this spring!

(Hopefully her picture attaches whenever I post this).

Muzzy61

Congrats to your daughter and you, cool story. I'll check out the video.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

JeffC

That's priceless, 3 generations experiencing your daughters first gobbler. Congrats to your daughter and you. 
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

ddturkeyhunter

You always have that picture in your mind but nice to share a picture with others, congrats do it again.

owlhoot

Congrats, that is something to cherish the rest of your days.

Tom007

One of the best memories you will ever have. Congrats
"Solo hunter"

Big Pine

Having my daughters in the woods with me is always the highlight of my year, I know that had to be an amazing experience for all involved.