OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Lincoln NF Shed antler hunt

Started by blake_08, January 28, 2021, 02:22:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blake_08

Hey guys, I'm looking at going to the Lincoln turkey hunting this year and I'm planning on going on a scouting trip the last week of March. I want to get a feel for the place and gain a little familiarity with it before going turkey hunting, but shed hunting will be just as much of a priority as scouting for the March trip. Has anyone here who has turkey hunted the Lincoln picked up any sheds while hunting? If guys can find them on accident while hunting, I'd like to think I could find a few with 5 days devoted to nothing but hiking.

Also, anyone who might know an area a guy could pick up a few sheds and would want to share the place, I'd sure appreciate the tip in a PM.

I'm an avid shed hunter here in my home state of Oklahoma. It's my 2nd favorite outdoor hobby right behind turkey hunting. Unfortunately, no elk where I live .

blake_08

Just to share, here was one of our Christmas trees this year. Everything on this is a shed antler and the tree represents probably 1000 miles of hiking over the last 15 years. Approximately 350-400 antlers in making this tree.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

owlhoot

That's neat. Bet that was fun to make.

Upfold99

That's awesome!!!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

blake_08

Thanks for the compliments. Takes me about 2 hours to stack them like that. There's no rope or fasteners holding them in place so after Christmas, I just move them all back to where I store them.

JeffC

Thanks for sharing that shed tree. Do you add more each year or just keep it at about 4'?
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Tail Feathers

Love to hunt the King of Spring!

guesswho

That's cool.   My Dobe would love that.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

blake_08

Quote from: JeffC on January 28, 2021, 04:08:35 PM
Thanks for sharing that shed tree. Do you add more each year or just keep it at about 4'?

I add more every year. I typically find about 40 sheds a year so it grows every time I put it up. It was about 6 foot tall this year (counting the stand it's on).

Turkz39

ElkTurkMan

That tree is awesome!  I have some sheds laying around, (not enough to make that tree), but perhaps in time I would!  Thanks for sharing that! 

Sixes

Cool looking tree!

Our bucks don't live long enough to shed unless you want a mini tree of spikes and 4 points

GobbleNut

Nice looking piece of art there Blake.  Can't imagine what that weighs, but I would guess a couple hundred pounds at least.  At the goin' rate of at least $10 a pound from antler buyers, I suspect you have about a $500 windfall sitting there.  Then again, I realize the sentimental value probably far exceeds the monetary value.  Can't find fault in that reasoning.   :icon_thumright:

blake_08

Quote from: GobbleNut on January 28, 2021, 11:44:07 PM
Nice looking piece of art there Blake.  Can't imagine what that weighs, but I would guess a couple hundred pounds at least.  At the goin' rate of at least $10 a pound from antler buyers, I suspect you have about a $500 windfall sitting there.  Then again, I realize the sentimental value probably far exceeds the monetary value.  Can't find fault in that reasoning.   :icon_thumright:
Yeah I'm not sure what it weighs but it's heavy. As far as money goes, they're definitely worth some money but i wouldn't take $5,000 for the whole lot. Like you said there's some sentimental value there. There's several sets in there that would fetch a few hundred dollars each. Like this set that i found a couple years ago.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk