OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Out of State Biologist Questions

Started by Upfold99, January 29, 2021, 04:19:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Upfold99

What's some of the questions you ask, before heading to a new state?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

GobbleNut

The first thing you want to do if you call someone for information is to make sure you get the right person on the phone to answer your questions.  Asking questions about turkey hunting to a non-turkey-hunter will go off the rails pretty quickly in terms of trying to get any information of any real value.

Sift through the personnel until you are talking to someone who is a turkey hunter, and more specifically, someone who is a real, dyed-in-the-wool, turkey huntin' addict if at all possible.  If you can manage to do that, you will most likely get the "real skinny" on where, when, what, and how to go about hunting wherever it is you are headed. 

Those types will most likely give you all the pertinent information you need to know whether you ask the questions or not.   :icon_thumright:

Upfold99

I agree that's definitely a benefit.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Brian Fahs

I have received some really good information from biologists in other states who did not personally hunt turkeys.

I would be leary of a biologist who is an avid turkey hunter. Just like most on here our best information is held close to the vest.

GobbleNut

Quote from: Brian Fahs on January 31, 2021, 10:03:20 AM
I have received some really good information from biologists in other states who did not personally hunt turkeys.

I would be leary of a biologist who is an avid turkey hunter. Just like most on here our best information is held close to the vest.

Yeah, that is the "flip side" to my comment above.  Although I must admit I haven't had a lot of dealings with folks in these positions, the ones I have personally communicated with that were actually knowledgeable about the turkey populations in their areas were turkey hunters and have been perfectly willing to share information.

On the other hand, I have also spoken with a few DNR folks about turkey hunting wherein it became quite apparent very quickly that they didn't know "squat" about turkeys and were just answering my questions with the "company line" because it was part of their job description. 

It certainly can work both ways, but for me personally, I want to talk to someone who actually knows something about turkey hunting.  I think my "bullsh*t meter" works well enough that I can usually figure out if they are trying to give me a pile,...or not.   :toothy12: ;D

deerhunt1988

Here is another useful tip... If you are looking at hunting Federal lands (USFS, COE, BLM, NWR), call the district office and speak to a few of the federal workers. Even if they aren't hunters, they will often tell you right where they see turkey. Ive gotten very beneficial information this way before.

Also, just because a biologist turkey hunts, doesn't mean he will steer you elsewhere. Ive gotten great information from state turkey program leaders. I manage public lands myself and will give great information to people whove proven they've already put in the research. But if they call just asking where to get on a bird, im liable to tell them "the woods!"

GobbleNut

Quote from: deerhunt1988 on January 31, 2021, 10:41:25 AM
I manage public lands myself and will give great information to people who've proven they've already put in the research. But if they call just asking where to get on a bird, I'm liable to tell them "the woods!"

Excellent point.  The person asking the questions needs to ask the right questions, and in a manner that does not put the person answering those questions "off" right from the start.  A little diplomacy goes a long way in these matters. 

makestomstremble

I would ask several questions, but like Gobblenut said, find someone that actually works outside the office on occasion. Get the right person on the phone before asking questions. I usually jot down a list before I call, otherwise I tend to forget to ask something.

1. Ask them about recent hatches, have they seen many poults the last couple of summers?
2. How much hunting pressure can you expect to see.
3. Ask if they have dedicated camping areas, and do they have any amenities (water, electric). Ask about other lodging available.
4. I would try to find out about the recent hunter success rates (if I can't locate this online).
5. Licensing available close by?
6. Were any areas burned lately? Note these area(s).
7. I would probably ask if there are any good eating places around also.

AndyN

As someone who fields a bunch of these questions every year you will get one of two responses. First would be a biologist who doesn't turkey hunt and will tell you everything you need to know, but they also tell everyone else the same thing and everyone will be on top of each other. The second will give you generalized info without any specifics. Having a game plan before hand and letting them know some areas you have in mind will get you a lot further than "Where can I find some turkeys?"

Ctrize

General research on your part should tell you where you want to hunt. The biologist will have an idea of the status of their state's flock and may point you in a direction already stated the same as others. One question I ask is there any new walk-in or bow hunting only areas. Is there a wintering ground that the flocks gravitate to whether public or private. I have had several hunts where the birds were still on the private ranches and had not broken from winter flocks to the public ground. In more cases, the Biologist referred me to the area conservation officer who would be somewhat helpful. A turkey hunter is a turkey hunter they are not going to give away their spots. But most of the individuals I have talked to do want to promote their state and do not give false information. Know the laws and know many states are changing their season quota.