turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Stormy day in Nebraska turns out great!

Started by drenalinld, May 20, 2011, 09:31:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drenalinld

Drove about 700 miles to get to hunting destination about 2 am this morning. That's about when the storms came. We slept in the truck at our first hunting spot until daylight. It was still storming really bad until about 8 am. We didn't find any birds on the first property we tried so we went scouting. Found some strutters in cut cornfields around 11 in the rain. Found the landowner and aquired permission to hunt them in just a few minutes. Made a long haul through the woods to get in position in the Double Bull and was ready for action.

We were able to call up two longbeards, four jakes, and a hen in just a couple minutes after setting up without decoys. I put a good shot on one longbeard with my Mathews and my buddy missed the other as he was leaving with his Benelli.

19 lbs, 9.5" beard, 1-3/8" spurs.

Back at the Suburban we were able to spot some more strutters. I was too tired to tote the blind and bow gear, so I picked up the Benelli. We spent about thirty minutes trying to sneak into position, only to find the birds had moved. We had to crawl 100+ yards through a horse pasture full of horse manure to get in position 150 yards from four longbeards, two jakes and one hen. They were across a cut corn field from us preening and drying out as the rain had slacked off. After about an hour of ignoring our calls, the hen started slowly meandering our way. About halfway across the field she started STRUTTING. She spent at least half an hour strutting back and forth from the gobblers to near our setup. During this time a yearling deer made it's way into the cut corn field and started chasing the jakes and alternately running from them then had a go of it with two of the longbeards. Eventually, the deer left and the longbeards started gobbling at our calls. The hen finally walked by with the gobblers strutting behind. I was in a terrible bind trying to get my gun up because I was almost laying down to hide from the hen, but I was able to pull it off and we killed two of the longbeards at 35 yards. What a fun hunt!!!

My only regret is it was raining hard enough I was scared to get the video camera out of the truck. It would have been some great footage.

BTW, #7 pixie dust waxed him. I have never seen a bloodier head.

My bird - 21 lbs, 1" spurs, and 10" beard.
My buddy's bird - 24 lbs, 3/4" spurs, and 9" beard.

We are eating turkey nuggets now!!

[attachment deleted by admin]

drenalinld

another pic

[attachment deleted by admin]

Turkeyfan

that sure sounds like a great hunt to me,  congrats. what part of NE are you huntinh in ? I was hunting in the Beatrice area last week.

drenalinld

WiLL B

Turkeyfan

I thought that area might be heating up prety good this week. I did not see a lot of hens lastweek so I figured this week would be rocking. If you are in the Beatrice are and looking for survinors go by a place called Cedar Creek Pottery, I scored some really good brownies point with the wife and kids.

drenalinld

Awesome tip fan! My daughter is not happy I went on "vacation" without her. I always need points with the wife.....lol

Hognutz

Congrats on the nice gobblers. Great story, nice pictures..Way to go..Mike :icon_thumright:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

M,Yingling

Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

campcreekfarm

WyoHunter

If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

mudhen

Nice story, but instead of saying 'stormy day in NE', you could have just said 'another typical day in NE'  ;D

mudhen
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

stone road turkey calls

The best part of your story and hunting trip is the part where you " found the land owner and got permison to hunt" man it's good to know that it's still possible to walk up and ask to hunt and not get run off.
Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

LX_Trkyhntr

Sounds like a GREAT trip!!  Congrats on the birds!!
Hook's Custom Call Prostaff, Ol'Tom's Elite Team, Vaportrail Archery Prostaff, KTECH Design Prostaff
[IMG]http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af259/OpenSeason1/oltom-logo.png[/i

Basser69

Great story and congrats on getting 3 nice birds!