OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Who Here " Can't " Use Horseshoe Mouth Calls + What Then Is Your Finisher?

Started by quavers59, January 21, 2021, 08:03:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

quavers59

I can't  use the Horseshoe Mouth Calls myself. I never got over that " Gag Reflex". I tried for 1 year or so. I had to learn how to use my natural voice by forming the words- Yelp + whit- whit in the sound Box of my Neck.
    I don't  think,I  would sound good to most here- but the Gobblers sure like it and they march on in. I stick with 90% of the time- Pot Calls,Yelpers/ homemade Wingbones, + a number of Custom Box Calls . I really like my 1999 Billy Buice Box made of a Magnolia Box + a Locust Lid. It reaches out with a " Rakey/Raspy Tone.
    Now this Thread is not to discredit any Advid users of The Horseshoe Mouth Calls-- just an honest question of what is your " Finisher" if you can't  use the Mouth Calls ?
    Hope Everyone  Has An Awesome Spring Turkey Season. :)

ChesterCopperpot

I've never been any good on a mouth call. My clucks inevitably sound like putts, and my yelps sound like a jenny stumbling over her first words. That said I still use them for a couple things, primarily to yelp in order to cut that yelp off with a pot or box and give the illusion of multiple hens. I also occasionally still use the mouth call to close the final gap and in those instances I just purr. That's all I do. A series of purrs, because that's the only consistent and realistic sound I can get out of mouth calls. Here's what I use, though, that I've never heard anyone else use. I started this a couple seasons ago. I use a 2.5" piece of river cane that was intended to be a mouthpiece on a Jordan. It's short enough I can run it under my mask, and I'm able to get very subtle, soft clucks and yelps out of it. I just leave it dangling from my lips like a cigarette. I've been amazed at how well it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dah

I can not use them at all . I have a severe case of acid reflux . My throat , voice box , stomach and espically my tongue stay irritated all the time . Pretty much maxed on meds for it . some times struggle talking . When that latex vibrates I cant take it on my tongue . I have put push/pull pin on the gun or my lap before . Sometimes I am messing with a slate in tight quarters with a bird , not ideal . Anymore most the time , I bring gun to bear and let it play out , most of time it works , sometimes there is a problem with head down or bird walks off before I get a shot . But it also helps resist over calling , It is more of problem field hunting than in the woods . But for me , less or no calling is better when they are closing  .

reflexl

I can't. Severe latex allergy. I used to use them. I wasn't always allergic to latex. A call maker made me two that were latex free. They were hard to run. I finally got to the point that I could run one of them fair. I killed 3 or 4 birds with it. Never sounded like a good latex call though. I use pots and box calls for everything now.

Crghss

I haven't been able to master them. Have tried a few times over the years.

I'll reach to Gooserbat, see what he recommends.

Think I just need to stay at it. Its just to easy for me to pick up a nice box or pot call and use that.
Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

guesswho

I can use them no problem.   But I still use a KFC plastic bag or any crisp plastic bag as a closer.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

bbcoach

Have you guys tried mouth calls without tape?  I was talking with Scott Hooks (Hooks Custom Calls), last year, and he told me he uses his calls without any tape.  Give him a call, I'm sure he can HOOK you up, if you want to give them a try. 

To answer your question, I'm pretty good with a mouth call so I'll usually have one in to finish but most of the time, if they are coming, I shut up and let them find the end of my gun barrel.

Tom007

I am ok with a mouth call, I always have one in. However, I am a push-pin hunter and always have it on the ground on my side. Gun up on knee, I can purr, cluck with one hand. BUT when I can see him, it becomes hands free, little mouth call purring, and maybe soft cluck. As stated above, if he's coming, he's coming and curiosity with less or no calling usually closes the deal. I do use pot calls, and boxes, but my go to is a push-pin. I know it's hard to believe, but they are deadly......be safe, good luck this spring.
"Solo hunter"

3bailey3

Hey Tom what push pin you use and glad to know i am not the only one that can't play a mouth call.

Tail Feathers

A pushpin is  pretty good option if the mouth call won't work.  Using one hand to call is easier to keep low key than a box of pot call.  They even have one that mounts on the gun although I don't know how well that brand works.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

NCL

I have never been very good with a mouth call, a friend said when I first started said I sounded like a grey squirrel. A few years ago I purchased Conquer The Call and it did help but then I quit practicing with the program after the season. Just reloaded the program on the computer and now can start practicing again.

davisd9

Biggest issue most run into when operating any type of air ran call, suction style or like a mouth call, is using way to much air.  It is about air control and not volume.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Greg Massey

Not a fan of mouth calls, i carry couple and use them very little.. i just like my pot calls and boxes the most..

Tom007

Quote from: Tail Feathers on January 21, 2021, 01:21:35 PM
A pushpin is  pretty good option if the mouth call won't work.  Using one hand to call is easier to keep low key than a box of pot call.  They even have one that mounts on the gun although I don't know how well that brand works.

Amen, they are a great option for the non-mouth call people.....
"Solo hunter"

Tom007

Quote from: 3bailey3 on January 21, 2021, 12:56:47 PM
Hey Tom what push pin you use and glad to know i am not the only one that can't play a mouth call.

Amen my friend, sent you a pm....be safe....
"Solo hunter"