OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

no more new SA 459 Turkey 20 gauge

Started by 1ST DRAW, December 29, 2020, 10:34:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1ST DRAW

Sorry if this is old news guys.
I have been watching the websites looking for a return of the 20 gauge SA 459 Turkey. I wanted to buy a new one for this spring and thought the inventory was just tied up with all the other covid related shortages this year so I contacted them Saturday to see when they would be available. This was Weatherby's response:
"Unfortunately, that shotgun has been discontinued. We're terribly sorry about that! I wish that I had an alternative for you (like our Elements, which are reliable and fun to shoot), but we're no longer manufacturing a model like the Turkey gun with a shorter barrel and pistol grip. Sorry about that, but we wish you all the best!"
So now I am back to the drawing board for a 20 gauge. I love my 870 Express but between the length of the barrel (I carry it muzzle down and still get the stock and barrel caught on stuff) and the weight (9.4 lbs with scope) I wanted to go to a short and light 20 gauge.
I priced a 20 gauge Remmington 870 Compact and it looked like by the time I got it outfitted it was going to cost about the same as the SA 459.
So if anyone knows of one hinding in a closet, safe, or back room that might be for sale, please bm me.

rakkin6

Sorry don't have one, but you can maybe look at the Winchester SXP or the Savage 220. I recently bought the Savage 212 turkey gun and love it. And if you use a bolt action to deer hunt then it is muscle memory. Only patterned it with the factory full choke which patterned pretty well. Ordering an Indian Creek at the end of deer season to get ready for the spring

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Khager11

I have an sxp longbeard and the sa-459 turkey both, I couldn't pick a favorite between the two so maybe the sxp 20 is the right choice for you

TauntoHawk

Dang that 459 was a great affordable turkey gun other than the trigger it was close to perfect for the money.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Fullfan

Had a feeling this was coming.  Great lil gun that throws nasty pattern with the right choke and TSS.  Sure glad a bough two.
Don't gobble at me...

ElkTurkMan

I am surprised they discontinued this?  They seemed like a pretty popular gun. Does anyone know why they pulled the plug on these?   I am glad I picked one up when I did.

aclawrence

That was the only short barrel auto I've seen besides the 11/87. I wish there were more options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turkeyfever

Check out the Mossberg Sa 20 Turkey! 22 inch barrel and weighs 5.5 pounds. I have the gun and it will flat out shoot with the Carlson 575 turkey choke and Federal TSS. I have had it for several years they used to call it the Sa 20 Turkey thug when I bought it. The thing is a Gobblers worst nightmare and a pleasure to carry. I have 5 different 20 gauge turkey guns between my son and I . This is probably my favorite.

FL-Boss

Tristar Viper w/ pistol grip. Basically the exact same gun inside and out as the SA-459 (I have both) Most all these Turkish built guns come from the same factory - Mossberg SA guns as well.
I actually like the Viper better because it comes in Bottomland and has the nice bronzed finish.. and you can get it in .410 as well.
https://www.classicfirearms.com/tristar-24152-viper-g2-brnz-bottomlands-20-24-ct-3/