OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Tenzing Turkey vest

Started by kytrkyhntr, January 28, 2021, 08:47:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kytrkyhntr

Can anyone give me a review on them that's had one? I see them for sale all the time online but never a used one... that tells me people don't want to get rid of them. They used to be "expensive" but now they're just another vest at that price point. I see they still sell them with the good obsession pattern (original) and they look comfy and light. Does anyone have experience with them? I know they're back packs are pretty solid in my experience. Haven't even seen one of their turkey vests before however.
don't let the truth get in the way of a good story

Spyderman

I bought one a few years ago. It's a quality vest, but I didn't love it. Pockets weren't big enough for my liking, but the pack itself seemed oversized. I'm about 6'1", 180 lbs, and I felt like I was swimming in it.

I've since purchased two more vests. An Ol' Tom vest, and the Alps vest with the kickstand in it (I think it's called the Grand Slam?). Prior to the Tenzing, I had a Tactical Tat'r, and that's been my favorite vest to date.

kytrkyhntr

Quote from: Spyderman on January 28, 2021, 09:13:49 AM
I bought one a few years ago. It's a quality vest, but I didn't love it. Pockets weren't big enough for my liking, but the pack itself seemed oversized. I'm about 6'1", 180 lbs, and I felt like I was swimming in it.

I've since purchased two more vests. An Ol' Tom vest, and the Alps vest with the kickstand in it (I think it's called the Grand Slam?). Prior to the Tenzing, I had a Tactical Tat'r, and that's been my favorite vest to date.

Sweet, thanks I was just curious because I see them online but never anyone selling them. I have a nomad and a TATR 2 and the cabelas vest is pretty awesome.

Sixes

I've hunted out of one for the last few years, I have the TV14 and it has been the vest for me.  Everyone is different, but the vest fits me right and is very comfortable. I am a little over 6' and weigh about 275 and the vest fits with ease.

I had the Cabelas Tatr  prior to this one, but found it hot late in the season. I tried about every one on the market and settled on the Tenzing. I actually found them on Amazon for about 55 dollars on clearance and bought an extra one to put up. Every thing that I seem to buy and like gets discontinued, so I bought a spare.

The only thing that I changed out was the seat, there was nothing wrong with it, but I use a Huntcomfort Fatboy that I keep in the turkey pouch.

Spyderman

Quote from: kytrkyhntr on January 28, 2021, 12:42:19 PM
Quote from: Spyderman on January 28, 2021, 09:13:49 AM

Sweet, thanks I was just curious because I see them online but never anyone selling them. I have a nomad and a TATR 2 and the cabelas vest is pretty awesome.

The entire time I had the Tenzing, I wished I had my Tat'r back, ha. I somehow lost my Tat'r moving a few houses ago. Wish I had it back.

jwm1485

I bought the tz tv18 last year and so far it has been a good vest. I got it from academy for pretty cheap onsale. The only problem I ve had is the side pickets can open if they are zipped up. Not a problem if zipped down though.

Bridger

I bought a TV18 off of Ebay and used it during the 2 week January season here in VA.  It's an okay vest.  They deleted the orange flag pullout from the back that was on the TV14 but left the (now) useless flap for it.  The striker pockets are deep enough, but no magnetic cover for them. The pot call pockets have weak magnets on the cover that's over both pockets.  I found myself checking to make sure it was closed.
The box call pocket doesn't have a sleeve to keep the call lid quiet. My biggest gripe with this vest is the seat attachment.  The seat buckles can be reached, but they attach under your arms and pull the vest out of shape.  I have a deep chest, maybe that's part of the problem. This is an improvement over the TV14- I had to take the vest off to secure the seat on that model. I am still looking for the right vest- for me. YMMV

kytrkyhntr

I see, I've definitely read enough. I won't be getting one for my vest collection. I wouldn't use it over the TATR2 I bought anyway. I was lucky enough to get one off a guy on here with tags and it is in original obsession. Thankful I bought that vest because it's been the strongest of the ones I've had