Going cheap this year on shells

Started by Meleagris gallopavo, January 08, 2021, 02:40:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turkeytider

Quote from: Spurs Up on January 22, 2021, 06:19:29 PM
Quote from: Turkeytider on January 22, 2021, 02:08:53 PM
Quote from: longbeards on January 22, 2021, 01:46:03 PM
LongbeardsXR

Certainly the best lead load you can buy, IMO.

If the run on ammo continues, it may soon be the best shell you can't buy.

You're absolutely right! None of us have ever seen anything like this.

captfire

think about this what did the old timers kill turkey with before the 3 inch and 3.5 turkey loads came out???????

eggshell

Quote from: captfire on January 31, 2021, 10:08:31 PM
think about this what did the old timers kill turkey with before the 3 inch and 3.5 turkey loads came out???????

This old timer started with a 20 ga in 2 3/4" high brass magnum shells in 4 or 6 shot. Turkeys dies just the same, flopping on the ground. You just had to be sure of range

captfire

Elmerfudd

I switched to TSS  for two reasons. 1. The consistency of longboard XRs has been poor as of late. I'm not into chasing lot numbers. Using TSS allows me to hunt with a light Benelli 20 or even a 410 and compromise nothing killing power wise.

Those of you thinking you can reload this year due to loaded ammo shortages are in for a shock. Yes there is no loaded ammo on shelves. There are no components to hand load either. Hoarders and scalpers have it all cleaned up and the waiting lists are insane. Much of what I needed I picked up last summer and am some kind of happy I did.

WildTigerTrout

Quote from: captfire on January 31, 2021, 10:08:31 PM
I started in the early to mid 1970's with 20 ga. Winchester Super X  3" 1 1/4oz. #4 shot. Oh yeah and they only came in 25 round boxes!
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Sasha and Abby

Yall are TRYING to make this harder than it needs to be...  a 3" load of copper plated 5's or 6's will stack them up to 50 yards with a good choke.  I use Longbeards when I hunt fields and might need to shoot a couple of yards further.  For 20-40 yards out of a 12 gauge, any lead shot and good choke will work... 

Smaller gauges are where the exotic shot shines and makes it as good as a 12 gauge.  If you primarily shoot a 12 gauge, you are throwing your money away with super shot.  And ballistically speaking, most all 3" loads will print better than the 3.5" loads... and kick less and be less expensive.   

shatcher

Quote from: Sasha and Abby on February 03, 2021, 09:20:08 AM
Yall are TRYING to make this harder than it needs to be...  a 3" load of copper plated 5's or 6's will stack them up to 50 yards with a good choke.  I use Longbeards when I hunt fields and might need to shoot a couple of yards further.  For 20-40 yards out of a 12 gauge, any lead shot and good choke will work... 

Smaller gauges are where the exotic shot shines and makes it as good as a 12 gauge.  If you primarily shoot a 12 gauge, you are throwing your money away with super shot.  And ballistically speaking, most all 3" loads will print better than the 3.5" loads... and kick less and be less expensive.
All good points here.  I think he means they'll do the job at 50, not necessarily recommending it.  Point is, know your range, let them come in and all is good with lead.

Turkeytider

Quote from: shatcher on February 03, 2021, 10:10:27 AM
Quote from: Sasha and Abby on February 03, 2021, 09:20:08 AM

All good points here.  I think he means they'll do the job at 50, not necessarily recommending it.  Point is, know your range, let them come in and all is good with lead.

Heartily concur with everything here. To tell the truth, with the range limitations I put on myself ( 30-35 yards max ), I`m probably over shelled with my preferred load (12 gauge, Hevi-13, 2oz #6 , .660 Jellyhead ). I have a mortal fear of crippling one of these magnificent birds. I don`t want him to know what hit him.

RiverBuck

Yep.. I run a 835 w 3.5's and a Hevi 13 or Jellyhead choke.
I can use any ol' cheap box of shells that has a turkey on it.
But if I were hunting with a .410 I'd be shelling out some duke for some shells.

Turkeytider

Quote from: RiverBuck on February 03, 2021, 03:14:02 PM
Yep.. I run a 835 w 3.5's and a Hevi 13 or Jellyhead choke.
I can use any ol' cheap box of shells that has a turkey on it.
But if I were hunting with a .410 I'd be shelling out some duke for some shells.

Most definitely on the sub gauges. TSS. I would feel I was doing the birds a disservice without it.

old3toe

I have also been shooting lead loads the last few years and carrying my 20" barrel 835 all the time. My favorites are the winchester supreme black 3 1/2" 2oz 5 and 6 shot and the double X magnum red 3 1/2" 2 1/4oz 6's. Which are both labeled as double X now but still different shell colors. I pick them up any time I can find them. They do very good for me in a kicks GT .670 with the 6's shooting a little better than the 5's. At some point i'm gonna try the 5's in a kicks .680 and see if it does a little better with them. Might try the federal lead loads at some point too. I never take long shots and if I have time when setting up on a gobbler I'll range three or four trees at 38-40 yards so I know when he's in the sweet spot for sure.

Old Timer

The old Mossberg 835 with stock .695 choke and tried and true 3 inch Federal #4`s.  :newmascot: