only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Going cheap this year on shells

Started by Meleagris gallopavo, January 08, 2021, 02:40:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paboxcall

Quote from: Turkeytider on January 19, 2021, 12:44:27 PM
Quote from: trkehunr93 on January 19, 2021, 10:23:12 AM
For my 835 the Win. HV 3.5 5's are the ticket, patterned much better than the 6's.  I have a star dot in mine.  Only reason I was shooting 3.5" was I found 10+ boxes at wally world a few years back for $10 a box on clearance, bought them all!

LOL!! Understand the deal on the shells, but 3.5s out of a pump? A tip of the cap, my friend ! You`re either a better man than I am, a masochist, or maybe both!

No doubt turktider. Imagine the 3.5" shell out this little thing. I fired exactly 4 rounds - two with #5 and two #6 and was black/blue across my chest, shoulder and upper right arm.

Never again. The 3" are bad enough. I'd shoot the 2.75" with TSS if I didn't have boxes of Hevi 13 #7s already.

To the OP - Winchester Double X in #6s would be just fine.

"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Turkeytider

Quote from: paboxcall on January 19, 2021, 04:03:07 PM
For my 835 the Win. HV 3.5 5's are the ticket, patterned much better than the 6's.  I have a star dot in mine.  Only reason I was shooting 3.5" was I found 10+ boxes at wally world a few years back for $10 a box on clearance, bought them all!

LOL!! Understand the deal on the shells, but 3.5s out of a pump? A tip of the cap, my friend ! You`re either a better man than I am, a masochist, or maybe both!

No doubt turktider. Imagine the 3.5" shell out this little thing. I fired exactly 4 rounds - two with #5 and two #6 and was black/blue across my chest, shoulder and upper right arm.

Never again. The 3" are bad enough. I'd shoot the 2.75" with TSS if I didn't have boxes of Hevi 13 #7s already.

When I first shot a 3" Hevi-13 out of my 870 Super Mag turkey gun, my buddy said I made kind of a funny sound! Kind of a squeak, he said. He still laughs about it.  Just kicked the snot out of me! Recoil had never bothered me before. Put a slip on Limbsaver on it and that calmed it down. As I like to say, I don`t dislike myself enough to shoot 3.5s. Not a turkey on the planet that a 3" won`t kill at the ranges I shoot ( 40 and in only ).

trkehunr93

I put a limb saver recoil pad and a beartooth comb raising kit on the stock(added a scope too), first time I shot it with a 3.5" shell (without the limb saver pad and stock kit) the stock hit my cheekbone and it hurt for two weeks.  Lesson learned but maybe I am a better man or just a glutton for punishment but the additions to the gun made all the difference in the world. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turkeytider

Quote from: trkehunr93 on January 20, 2021, 09:37:39 AM

I put a limb saver recoil pad and a beartooth comb raising kit on the stock(added a scope too), first time I shot it with a 3.5" shell (without the limb saver pad and stock kit) the stock hit my cheekbone and it hurt for two weeks.  Lesson learned but maybe I am a better man or just a glutton for punishment but the additions to the gun made all the difference in the world. 

I just don`t know how somebody shoots 3.5" shells out of a fixed breech gun like a pump, double or break open single without doing SOMETHING to the gun. Good Lord! It hurts just to think about it! I think I recall reading somewhere where the recoil on those things is similar to the heavy big game guns used in Africa! Not my personal idea of a good time!!

Happy

I shoot 3.5's out of a mossy. Ain't that big of a deal. I did shoot once shoot a gobbler one handed that came in to my extreme right. Notice I said once. I think I bled as much as the turkey.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Bowguy

Quote from: AppalachianHollers on January 08, 2021, 02:54:10 PM
I've gotten solid patterns from the 3.5" version of this Winchester Double X load out of my Indian Creek .665.
Wal-Mart often sells 10 shell boxes for at little as $10...if they have them.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2900113645

Had to double take on the date. Xx supreme have been out of existence for a couple years. I'd never recommend it because of that even if a few boxes were found.
I've had good luck with grand slam by federal. Op to be honest you ain't gonna find many if anything it seems. Use what you have if you have enough.
I'm no TSS guy. I think it's ridiculous for the most part. The $3 point was silly to me. No disrespect to the man who said it. Even if it was only $5 bucks a shell, you pattern some, check every year a couple shots.  It's a bunch of money. Why spend 2-1/2 times as much to shoot birds within reasonable range. Regular turkey loads are cheaper than that anyhow. I guess if we have the God forbid one gets away mentality we need it.
I consider myself a little more realistic in what I need.
That being said given the climate right now I reload everything save turkey and waterfowl loads. . Considering trying to find a load I can make myself with copper plated lead or else to be honest actually loading TSS just because ammo is impossible to find. Stock piling supplies is easier. Right through the Obama era I never had to even slow down shooting. This compromised guy we have in now may make things tough again. May be best to think about that.

Bowguy

Quote from: Turkeytider on January 20, 2021, 02:20:28 PM
Quote from: trkehunr93 on January 20, 2021, 09:37:39 AM

I just don`t know how somebody shoots 3.5" shells out of a fixed breech gun like a pump, double or break open single without doing SOMETHING to the gun. Good Lord! It hurts just to think about it! I think I recall reading somewhere where the recoil on those things is similar to the heavy big game guns used in Africa! Not my personal idea of a good time!!

You boys need to drink some milk and eat some wheaties lol! All I've shot since they were available til recently was 3-1/2 12ga out of pumps. As a young man in the 80s it was a 10 ga. I'll never get how a few shots hurt someone. To me it's about unfathomable. Hold the gun properly. Let it move you. An old karate phrase, water flows, ice breaks. Don't try and be rigid with gun.

eggshell

QuoteYou boys need to drink some milk and eat some wheaties lol! All I've shot since they were available til recently was 3-1/2 12ga out of pumps. As a young man in the 80s it was a 10 ga. I'll never get how a few shots hurt someone. To me it's about unfathomable. Hold the gun properly. Let it move you. An old karate phrase, water flows, ice breaks. Don't try and be rigid with gun.

In my old age I may be a woosie, but it has also taught me I don't need a two handed claymore sword to cut off a mushroom.

Turkeytider

Quote from: eggshell on January 21, 2021, 07:44:22 AM
QuoteYou boys need to drink some milk and eat some wheaties lol! All I've shot since they were available til recently was 3-1/2 12ga out of pumps. As a young man in the 80s it was a 10 ga. I'll never get how a few shots hurt someone. To me it's about unfathomable. Hold the gun properly. Let it move you. An old karate phrase, water flows, ice breaks. Don't try and be rigid with gun.

In my old age I may be a woosie, but it has also taught me I don't need a two handed claymore sword to cut off a mushroom.

Amen, brother!! More power to you boys that shoot those things! LOL! Seriously, I don`t feel " under shelled " shooting 3" shells, particularly since I self-impose pretty rigid range limitations on myself.

CALLM2U

I shoot TSS for one reason and one reason alone.  So I can hunt with a 20g.   It hasn't changed my range or how I hunt other than now I have less weight to carry and less recoil on my shoulder.

I do have a stash of the Federal copper plated 6s from the 1990s that I would not hesitate to take out on a hunt. 

Turkeytider

Quote from: CALLM2U on January 21, 2021, 09:22:42 AM
I shoot TSS for one reason and one reason alone.  So I can hunt with a 20g.   It hasn't changed my range or how I hunt other than now I have less weight to carry and less recoil on my shoulder.

I do have a stash of the Federal copper plated 6s from the 1990s that I would not hesitate to take out on a hunt.

A good reason for TSS. If I had more seasons than I probably do to turkey hunt, I'd seriously consider transitioning to a 20 and TSS. As it is , I'll just stick with with my already set up well padded 870 12 and Hevi-13s.

longbeards

Turkeytider

Spurs Up

Quote from: Turkeytider on January 22, 2021, 02:08:53 PM
Quote from: longbeards on January 22, 2021, 01:46:03 PM
LongbeardsXR

Certainly the best lead load you can buy, IMO.

If the run on ammo continues, it may soon be the best shell you can't buy.

owlhoot

Quote from: Spurs Up on January 22, 2021, 06:19:29 PM
Quote from: Turkeytider on January 22, 2021, 02:08:53 PM
Quote from: longbeards on January 22, 2021, 01:46:03 PM
LongbeardsXR

Certainly the best lead load you can buy, IMO.

If the run on ammo continues, it may soon be the best shell you can't buy.
In one store saw 3 boxes of 20 gauge 5 shot . Out of 4 stores today.