OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

New vest

Started by Shady valley birds, January 05, 2021, 11:40:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shady valley birds

Hey guys I'm on the market for a new vest in bottomland.  I have an alps grand slam in obsession and love the vest  but i  wanna try something new.  I know ol tom makes a killer vest but if you had to pick one what would it be? Thanks again
If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.

paboxcall

Wore vests for years, then ditched them for a fanny pack with a shoulder harness for a few years. Now I'm back to using a vest. Its the Knight/Hale RNG 300 and in new bottomland.

Large and spacious enough to carry what I need and want. Comfy, good seat for long sits, pocket layout is nice. Best I've found.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Shady valley birds

Good deal I'll check em out!
If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.

Jester87

I 2nd the RNG 300...light, highly adjustable. 

FL-Boss

I have tried nearly every vest made over the last 10 years.  RNG 300 is awesome -  I have 3 of them just in case they stop making them.  Plus they are one of the few vest that actually fit normal sized guys..

TauntoHawk

Quote from: FL-Boss on January 07, 2021, 12:16:26 PM
I have tried nearly every vest made over the last 10 years.  RNG 300 is awesome -  I have 3 of them just in case they stop making them.  Plus they are one of the few vest that actually fit normal sized guys..
I really like everything but the seat.. I need to make some mods for this season. last year I simple strapped an inflatable camping cushion to make it more functional

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Shady valley birds

Everyone has said the rng 300 i gotta check one out now thsnks guys!

Turkeyslayer7

Quote from: TauntoHawk on January 07, 2021, 04:19:13 PM
I really like everything but the seat.. I need to make some mods for this season. last year I simple strapped an inflatable camping cushion to make it more functional

What's wrong with the seat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FL-Boss

Honestly I think the seat comfort on the RNG vests is the best. The Tatr vest may close, but that's the only one I could think of. 

The "folding" stow and deploy on the RNG is certainly the best system.  Beats magnets and/or clips for sure...

Turkeyslayer7

I agree the Cabela's would be the only design that might be better

TauntoHawk

Quote from: Turkeyslayer7 on January 07, 2021, 09:56:26 PM
Quote from: TauntoHawk on January 07, 2021, 04:19:13 PM

What's wrong with the seat?

I think it's cheap foam it compresses in about 15min. I can take it in my fingers and pinch it paper thin it just doesn't offer any real support. Up here there's rocks under every tree and I'm feeling them immediately.

The tac had a much denser cushion. My actual favorite is the primos rocker because you don't need a tree at all an can lean into it until you butt is actually up off the ground, but alas the primos vest has zero durability and is bulky and heavy compared to the RG

I am going to cut the seat open and replace the foam with a layer of dense foam and then an inflatable cushion or wheelbarrow tire inner tube.

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

sasquatch1

Will have to check these out. I been using an ancient vest that's falling apart because even at 6' 185# all these M/L one size fits most vest are HUGE!

Seems they make them for giants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TauntoHawk

Quote from: sasquatch1 on January 08, 2021, 11:18:25 AM

Will have to check these out. I been using an ancient vest that's falling apart because even at 6' 185# all these M/L one size fits most vest are HUGE!

Seems they make them for giants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
It cinches down great

skimerhorn

A cabelas vest is great but I don't think they come in bottomland? You could maybe try a nomad? I've been close to one of those myself

Shady valley birds

I had the nomad vest and loved it except for the striker pockets.  The magnetic flaps opened up and I lost 2 awesome strikers and I traded it off. Other than that it was awesome I really liked the pot call pockets it was nice