OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Best advice for trumpet novice caller

Started by topnotch, November 28, 2020, 09:53:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paboxcall

Quote from: nitro on December 01, 2020, 06:32:38 PM
It's three things-

A GOOD call

A lot of practice

A lot of dedication.

:agreed:

Best advice given to me long ago was heavy on Nitro's first point - start with ONE GOOD call. Master that one call before buying a whole bunch of different yelpers from different makers. That should shorten the learning curve.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

tal

Best advice given to me long ago was heavy on Nitro's first point - start with ONE GOOD call. Master that one call before buying a whole bunch of different yelpers from different makers. That should shorten the learning curve.
[/quote] That's good advice for many calls. Tubes, diaphragms, pots, Cost's, or Turpin's

Chris O

Quote from: paboxcall on December 01, 2020, 07:01:01 PM
It's three things-

A GOOD call

A lot of practice

A lot of dedication.

Now you tell me Paboxcall !!!!! I could have saved a fortune and I know it would have shortened my learning process. I started with quality calls I just purchased too many very quickly. This is very good advice just start with one...I do love all my calls though and really enjoy them. I have cut back on buying but I still get the urge to want to try all of the makers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paboxcall

Quote from: Chris O on December 18, 2020, 07:22:36 PM
It's three things-

A GOOD call

A lot of practice

A lot of dedication.

Now you tell me Paboxcall !!!!! I could have saved a fortune and I know it would have shortened my learning process. I started with quality calls I just purchased too many very quickly. This is very good advice just start with one...I do love all my calls though and really enjoy them. I have cut back on buying but I still get the urge to want to try all of the makers.

LOL. Here's what he asked - do I want to collect trumpets, or hunt with a trumpet? So I put them all down, and dedicated myself to learn on just one good call.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Bedge7767

Quote from: paboxcall on December 18, 2020, 07:32:59 PM
It's three things-

A GOOD call

A lot of practice

A lot of dedication.

LOL. Here's what he asked - do I want to collect trumpets, or hunt with a trumpet? So I put them all down, and dedicated myself to learn on just one good call.
I like to collect.  :z-guntootsmiley:
Jim

Chris O

It's three things-

A GOOD call

A lot of practice

A lot of dedication.

Smart man!!! Sometime when you are bored, I would love to hear you play that Austy Bott adjustable trumpet. Getting closer to the time I start bugging you again!!!

paboxcall

Quote from: Chris O on December 18, 2020, 07:37:15 PM
It's three things-

A GOOD call

A lot of practice

A lot of dedication.

Smart man!!! Sometime when you are bored, I would love to hear you play that Austy Bott adjustable trumpet. Getting closer to the time I start bugging you again!!!

Was running it yesterday a good bit. Next time I'm messing with it I'll give you a ring. If you don't answer I'll leave a yelping voice message.

paboxcall

Quote from: Bedge7767 on December 18, 2020, 07:35:49 PM

I collected for a long time too, but now I gather only what I will hunt, which is my Bott adjustable and Permar .45.

davisd9

Quote from: paboxcall on December 18, 2020, 09:13:26 PM
Quote from: Bedge7767 on December 18, 2020, 07:35:49 PM

I collected for a long time too, but now I gather only what I will hunt, which is my Bott adjustable and Permar .45.

I do both, if I own it then it will go to the woods.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

EZ

Quote from: davisd9 on December 01, 2020, 06:39:49 PM
Why don't you share the intel here? Not like it's some secret. It's three things-

A GOOD call

A lot of practice

A lot of dedication.

Some people do not mind helping some people but do not want everyone contacting them or their name all out on a public forum. There are lots of people out there that can help, but like I said originally make sure it is someone that knows what they are talking about.

You are very right though, no matter who is giving tips it will not matter if you do not do the three things you have listed.

I actually enjoy helping folks get started on any type of yelpers, not just my own. It's a little harder doing it over the phone, but most people only need a push in the right direction and they start to get it pretty good.

davisd9

Quote from: EZ on December 19, 2020, 07:50:33 AM
Quote from: davisd9 on December 01, 2020, 06:39:49 PM
Why don't you share the intel here? Not like it's some secret. It's three things-

A GOOD call

A lot of practice

A lot of dedication.

Some people do not mind helping some people but do not want everyone contacting them or their name all out on a public forum. There are lots of people out there that can help, but like I said originally make sure it is someone that knows what they are talking about.

You are very right though, no matter who is giving tips it will not matter if you do not do the three things you have listed.

I actually enjoy helping folks get started on any type of yelpers, not just my own. It's a little harder doing it over the phone, but most people only need a push in the right direction and they start to get it pretty good.

I agree. If someone feels I know enough to help them then I will do whatever I can to help them, they may come away disappointed though. Lol
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Sir-diealot

Here is a list with several videos I have saved on Youtube to try to help me improve, they are not all trumpet/yelper/wingbone related but all seem to be good videos. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbF6qMoJbTLzkdmzIrqSSxeTkJKKmXVg8
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

wbyman

I got some advice that was hard to follow but I finally listened and it forced me to commit. I would take my trumpet hang it around my neck and us a mouth call because I had confidence in it. Then I was told to leave everything at home and just take my trumpet in the woods. It did work for me, but advice is a funny thing...
Good luck! Practice a lot and record yourself some.
"Control your destiny, or someone else will"

ol bob

Practice calling as soft as you can, most try way to hard when they are starting out. If it hurts your trying to hard. It take very little air to run a trumpet.