turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

New to red dots. Help please!

Started by Curtdawg88, January 27, 2021, 08:29:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Curtdawg88

I just picked up the Rossi Turkey Tuffy 410 for the kids. I want to put a red dot on it. I've never had a red dot. I don't know whether to the get the (forgive me if I don't know the correct terminology) tube style or the other kind (holographic maybe)? Any pros and cons of 1 vs the other? Also, any recommendations on a not terribly expensive red dot that's still good? $100 maybe? I'm not wanting to spend a fortune on it. Thanks for any help!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Life is tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid."

bwhana

You pay for what you get like most things.  The newer Bushnell is a good mid-priced and quality option at $100.  https://www.bushnell.com/red-dots/rxs/rxs-100-reflex-sight/BU-RXS100.html

bbcoach

I have a Bushnell Trophy Red Dot on my 835.  It has been on it for 12 years now with no issues.  I believe they have been discontinued and replaced with the TRS-25 red dot.  I highly recommend the Trophy, even shooting 3 1/2's Hevi 7's.  Plenty of TRS-25's out there for around $60.  Good Luck with your search. 

Muzzy61

I've had a Bushnell TRS-25 on my 835 shooting 3.5 shells for over 5 years with no issue. Just put one on my grandsons 410 for him to use this year.
Good red dot for the price.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Curtdawg88

Quote from: Muzzy61 on January 28, 2021, 08:48:32 AM
I've had a Bushnell TRS-25 on my 835 shooting 3.5 shells for over 5 years with no issue. Just put one on my grandsons 410 for him to use this year.
That's the one I've been looking real hard at. It's about $70ish on Amazon with over 10,000 good reviews.

bbcoach

Quote from: Curtdawg88 on January 28, 2021, 12:07:28 PM
That's the one I've been looking real hard at. It's about $70ish on Amazon with over 10,000 good reviews.

Check Ebay, plenty of new ones for $50 to $65 plus free shipping.

Curtdawg88

Quote from: bbcoach on January 28, 2021, 12:25:47 PM
Quote from: Curtdawg88 on January 28, 2021, 12:07:28 PM

Check Ebay, plenty of new ones for $50 to $65 plus free shipping.
Thank you! Just found one for $44 with free shipping

bbcoach

Excellent!  About what I paid for the Trophy, 12 years ago. 

Sight it in at 12.5 yards with dove loads to get POA/POI then move back to 30 or 40 and see what she does with your turkey loads and adjust if you need to.  Good luck.

Curtdawg88

Quote from: bbcoach on January 28, 2021, 02:37:43 PM
Excellent!  About what I paid for the Trophy, 12 years ago. 

Sight it in at 12.5 yards with dove loads to get POA/POI then move back to 30 or 40 and see what she does with your turkey loads and adjust if you need to.  Good luck.
Wellll.... turns out the $44 one was coming from China and may not get here until early March. So I got one for $65 but still not bad!

I have some low brass #9s in the safe to sight in with. I have to ask, why the specific sight in yardage of 12.5 yards??

bbcoach

It allows you to make precise windage and elevation adjustments.  My trophy red dot has 1/2" at 50 yards so 12.5 yards would be 1/8" adjustments per click.  You also want to be close to your target so you get a very, very tight pattern to adjust to.