turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Boss TSS ammo?

Started by ahfox16, January 24, 2021, 09:27:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ahfox16

Have a few friends using it for waterfowl and say it patterns tight and is very well made.  Did anyone use it last year and how did it pattern compared to other factory TSS such a Apex or Federals etc. ?

jrmcclure

It may be great, but I don't think I'd risk it. I would go with a more reputable company or load tss yourself. I tried some of the boss shells for waterfowl and had pellets coming apart like shrapnel and finding it in birds. This was there new copper coated bismuth that was supposed to beat other bismuth on the market. It was creative marketing, but I will stick with what is tried and try.

For tss factory loads I'd probably shoot Apex. They seem to be consistent and most are copied loads very similar if not the exact loads some hand loaders on this site are using. Such as the apex st-3 load and Hal's fiocchi 2oz. Federal shells are good too, you just have to figure out the choke restriction that pairs with the flight control wad.

Deast1988

Got 2 boxes of the #9s in .410 it shot the most consistent #9 pattern I've found. Beat, federal #9s, browning #9s, apex standard #9.5s.

Cva scout with the factory Jebs.

#9s eat up case capacity in the .410 but it did 160/170 consistently. I'm holding my last box close, till more are available, boss said it was a trial and wasn't sure if they'd keep offering it. But it's legit.

2eagles

There's a big difference between tss and bismuth. Cost and performance. That said, Boss makes good stuff. Not sure I'd use it as a turkey load unless you can't use toxic shot. My son uses it for decoying large Canadas and does well with it. Sometimes we goose hunt and the birds get mixed up as to who shot what and I have cleaned some of his birds. Most of the pellets are whole but once in a while, I do find a small piece or two. If it was available right now I'd like to buy some 3's for my 20 gauge and try them next year on ducks.