OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Choke recommendation for a Win SXP Longbeard 20ga.

Started by bdirks, October 21, 2020, 10:28:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bdirks

So I have read multiple posts but I don't see any for this gun. I figure the gun should perform similar to a Browning or Win SX3. What tube ID do you like, .565 or .570? I would also listen to TSS shell suggestions for this gun.

rakkin6

Indian Creek Choke in .570 and if you are going to go TSS I would try the Federal #9 and see how your gun likes them. You can typically find them in stores (before all the craziness happend anyways). If not then I say go with Apex 3" 1 5/8 #9. Helped my buddy setup his 20 gauge with this exact setup with the Apex ammo and it is devastating.

Best of luck on getting your gun setup and stay safe.

De Oppresso Liber

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Buckrub

I'm using an Indian Creek .555 and have been very happy with it's performance !!!

decoykrvr

The SXP has a back-bored barrel which usually patterns best w/ a more open choke when shooting TSS.  I'm shooting a TSS reload of straight 9's/ 8's over 9 1/2's/ and 9's over 9 1/2's, all of which produce great patterns which I've evaluated at ranges from 10 to 55 yards.  I prefer a 10" core of 300+ w/ an even 20" w/ no voids.  I evaluated the factory choke, a Jeb's .655 and .665, Primos .570, and Carlson's and Trulock .580.
The factory choke patterned well w/ factory Winchester Longbeards, but was inconsistent w/ TSS. Both Jeb's chokes produced blown patterns w/ fliers.  The Primos had a nice pattern w/ a tight 10", but was too tight IMO for a good hunting pattern.  Both of the .580 chokes delivered great hunting patterns, 300 + in the 10" and an even 20" w/ no voids.  I kept the Carlson's and sold the Trulock to a friend who has an SXP and have hunted w/ it now for 2 years.  I raised the comb on my SXP and installed a Vortex Venom on a Sumtoy base.  I've worked extensively on the trigger and have lightened it considerably, eliminated the creep, but there is no elimination of the "take-up" much like that found on most AR's.  I've shot my SXP a lot and the "take-up" on the trigger required before you are set for a normal trigger pressure release and firing is no longer a problem, but I would advise becoming very familiar w/ the trigger set-up on the SXP before hunting w/ it.

SumToy

Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

decoykrvr

My reloads patterned 330-350, 9's in 10" w/ a .570 and @ 180-200 in the 20".  With a .580, I get @ 300+ in
the 10" and 220-230 in the 20." w/ no holes or voids which gives me a little more wiggle room

MudCat

I shoot a primos tight wad 570 in this exact gun. The apex and federal TSS both shoot well and have a nice even pattern.

RED NECK

.570 tightwad was very good from mine.I just picked up the sx4 as the barrels pattern well with most chokes and ammo I tried.
Browning'...."The Best There Is"

Austin 3:16...........