turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Thighs = breakfast sausage

Started by chadly, September 12, 2020, 10:18:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chadly

I know this has been discussed many times but here I go.  SAVE THOSE LEGS!  As an upland hunter years ago a friend was appalled I would take the breast of my pheasants and trash the rest.  What a blessing that was that he showed me the most flavorful meat is the dark meat.  My youth son had one tag this year and I had two.  With the three toms we harvested I de-boned the thighs and legs and vacuum packed them separately from the breasts.  last week I pulled the combined 5lbs of leg meat out and ground them up.  This is the seasoning i used per every 2lbs of turkey.
2 teaspoons dried sage
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
ΒΌ teaspoon dried marjoram
1 tablespoon brown sugar
? teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 pinch ground cloves 
so in my case i 2 timesed the recipe.  Also I added one pound bacon and one pound Jimmy Dean sausage for fat.  I,ve been experimenting for 20 years with different recipes and this is so simple and so amazingly good.  I ground the meat, then added all the seasonings, then mixed it real good, and ground it again.  biscuits and gravy for breakfast before church tomorrow.  So looking forward to it. 

Happy

Glad to see you saving the legs and thighs. A man that is too lazy to properly take care of his kill is lower than whale crap in my book. I just smoked and fried one yesterday for a gathering of about 10. It was gone in about 20 minutes. I have heard the argument that the dark meat is bad on a wild turkey but that is totally false. Just lazy people that don't want to or can't cook.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Paulmyr

This year we just skipped all the seasoning and just mixed the leg/thigh meat with ground bacon for fat. The wild turkey bacon burgers are pretty tasty.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Sir-diealot

How do you feel this would be minus the brown sugar? I can't have it on my diet but the rest sounds fine.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Greg Massey

I always dress out the legs and thighs .. lot of good meat on these .. it just takes little more time ... that sounds like a great recipe ...yummy

Harty

I have four in the freezer. I'll give this recipe a go. Sounds delicious

falltoms

I have always saved the legs and thighs, we grind up and make Turkey meatballs,  chili, etc!. Also save liver and heart. People who throw half the Turkey away have no business hunting them.

the Ward

We always bake the whole turkey for dinner, but i think i might try grinding some leftovers up and try making some turkey salad spread for sandwiches or try out your recipe. Sounds delicious!